Friday, September 5, 2008

Boston

I met a guy on the train from Washington to Boston last Saturday. He asked me if I lived in DC and I was unsure of the answer. For the first time in a long time, I don't have an address and I quickly realized that it is not my location that defines me. Or perhaps it is exactly location that defines me and the lack of a permanent address that will redefine me. I no longer have the luxury of telling people what I do or where I live as a way to categorize myself in the world. Instead, I just have me--my experiences, things that I love to do, people that I love to know--just me. It is a crazy and amazing prospect.

I am officially unemployed for the first time since I was 16. I have spent the week roaming around Boston--I spent a day at Revere beach with my brother (family pride), shopped at Whole Foods and REI, and hung out with my folks and after a full week I am left amazed--there are tons of people out during the day! Who knew this other culture of people existed that don't sit indoors all day hooked up to Microsoft Outlook, breathing in and out, in and out. I imagine this is what it would feel like to take a vacation and stay in the town you live in for the week. You begin to see the rhythms of the people who don't leave thier homes for an office every morning--young and old alike. People walking their dogs, sitting in the park, having coffee just for the sake of drinking coffee in the middle of the day. It is luxurious--to observe and to do.

So now I am left with one more week in Boston to see my friends and my family and to buy all of the last minute things that will come in handy in the wilds of who knows where. Today I bought a swiss army knife and a lock. Bear Grylls, here I come.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

my most poetic and amazing friend, I am sad to see you go but will devour your blog posts and live vicariously through you. here's to iron stomachs and beautiful beaches! love you, lizzy

Mimi said...

I thought about you as I got on my train back to DC on Wednesday hoping that no one would talk to me. So excited for your adventure. Love, Mimi
PS- Ami said Surviorman kicks man vs. wild's butt any day. Check it out during your work-less week!

Unknown said...

Imagine that unemployed life in LA. 12 noon spinning classes at CRUNCH with the cast from The Real World; yoga sessions at 3 pm on the foot of Runyan Canyon; all this and you STILL get to watch Ellen or Oprah live on TV! Ha. I love how our worlds are so intertwined - the same yet so opposite. As I sit here and think how excited I am to begin my new job on Monday, you too will begin a new chapter in your life that very same day. I am so proud of your decision to live life to its fullest and to create all the paths upon which you travel. I love you. And can't wait to read more! Mara

Unknown said...

So what have you been doing for 6 days. Nothing on your blog yet. Just kidding. Your mom just told me you called her from Cambodia.You're not supposed to be there until the 20th. See, you thought I wasn't paying attention. Be well and safe. Hi to Oded, that lucky man.

Love,
Franny